HIBarbeque
January 26, 2020, 11:06:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2013 is going to be an amazing year for HIBBQ.  Stay tuned for details on new smokers coming to Hawaii and Hawaii's first ever KCBS sanctioned event.  Aloha!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forschner/Victorinox and Wenger SWIBO from Switzerland from wannaknife.com  (Read 6472 times)
cowboy2glm

« on: March 18, 2011, 12:02:59 pm »

Back in 1992, I thought I would begin selling knives and some guns on the side as a hobby. I had always been the default butcher in deer camp and had started young, butchering my first hog along when I was 14. What I didn’t know was how many different knife manufacturers existed, or how many were made by any of them. I never realized that Case made over 100 different knives. Buck was about the same. Then there was KBar and others, like Schrade and Old Timer. Whatever I stocked just didn’t seem to be what the customer wanted. So, I had to find the niche that I wanted to serve.

I tried a variety of approaches from the cheap stuff from Pakistan, China, and Tiwain. What I discovered was that most customers wanted a quality knife at a reasonable price. I also discovered that most of the women of the world are not happy with the knives that they have in their kitchen. That lead me into searching for a line that made kitchen cutlery that was high quality without breaking the bank.

The product line that I went with was the Forschner line made by Victorinox from Switzerland and Boker made in Germany. The Boker line was sold mainly for the hunting public although they did have a limited set of kitchen knives.

The Forschner line at that time was sold mainly to large commercial establishments, ie packing plants, large super markets, high end hotels, etc. There was little if any push to market it to the general consumer public. I remember in the early days placing an order and the customer service reps at Forschner were almost, like why are you bothering us?

Over the years, the product line has expanded to over 600 different offerings including the “cut proof” gloves to the blade protectors and more. Of course, I don’t stock all the 600 different  items they carry, but do stock about 60 or so of the most popular items. Since I deal directly with the headquarters in the US, I can order anything they sell here.

As for the product line, the Forschner name is being dropped but the knives will continue to be the same. There are what I would call  4 categories in the Forschner/Victorinox line.
The most popular and what I sell mainly is what I would call the commercial line. These are stamped and most have a fibrox handle, and are the most reasonably priced. These are NSF rated for use in commercial establishments. Another line is very similar to the first line, but has the rosewood handles. These are nicer to look at and are more expensive and NOT NSF rated. The third line is the microban which is advertised to provide some sanitary features. The forth line is the forged line that is very similar to the Henkels from Soligen, Germany and is the most expensive of the categories.

I currently can be found on the www.wannaknife.com website. If you want to spend more, I can also be found on ebay operating under the handle cowboy2glm. I am looking forward to supplying the BBQ public of Hawaii their quality cutlery.
Lisa_DJ
Pit B!t@h
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 01:11:20 pm »

It is great to have you on board and I can personally say I love these knives.  Know only if I could get pink handles to keep Crash away from them....  Thanks for all of your support to HI Barbeque. 

Lisa
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: