HIBarbeque
June 23, 2017, 07:01:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2013 is going to be an amazing year for HIBBQ.  Stay tuned for details on new smokers coming to Hawaii and Hawaii's first ever KCBS sanctioned event.  Aloha!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoked fish?.  (Read 2079 times)
UDS808

« on: June 01, 2012, 10:21:43 pm »

Aloha,
My father has shown some interest in what I'm building. He likes to smoke fish before he cans it in mason jars. It's actually very tasty straight from the jar, but my question is can we cold smoke fish as Dad puts it in one of these UDS smokers. I don't understand cold smile. He says there's still heat, just low temp smoking as he used to do with a drum many years back, back in So. Cal...
Cold smoking in the UDS??
Thanks!!!
Scott
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 02:03:14 am »

Yes, you can cold smoke on a UDS.  You'll be using a very small amout of coals as you try to keep those grate level temps under 100*.  I believe the correct temp for cold smoking is between 80-100*.

We always brine our fish, rinse our fish and then let the pellicle set up on a wire rack in the fridge.  It sounds intimidating and difficult, but it's actually not hard at all.

I've heard that one of the best smoke woods for fish is Australian Pine, which is truly not a pine.  Luckily, we have a lot of it in Hawaii down by the beaches where they were planted years ago for erosion control and as wind breaks.  I've never used it, but it is the next wood I want to try.
UDS808

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 04:27:12 pm »

Crash, I want to learn more about smoking fish cause I recently bought a house with my father. He came to live with us after mom passed in 2009 and now I am going through a Divorce so he and I bought this place out here in Maili. Got these two drums and I'd like to dedicate one to smoking fish so he sees I'm doing this for the both of us. He doesn't believe these drums will do what he wants and I want to show him they will...
Recipes, ideas, personal help if Maili isn't too far. Not sure if anyones a drinker, but I've got Beer on tap 24/7...figured, that and whats to come out of the UDS will pair nicely..(Mehana Kauai Golden Ale)
Aloha,
Scott
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:42:12 am »

Beer on tap 24/7.  I'm in.  We'd love to come out and see if we can help you out with a few things. 

Probably won't be until at least mid July when we will have time though.
kong

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 05:18:54 pm »

Resurecting an old thread.  UDS808 ever got the smoker up for you and dad?  Hope all went well.  Other way to cold smoke is to build a small smoke house use the barrel as a smoke generator and pipe the smoke in.  Check out that Alaska show of the homesteaders, similar idea.
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 03:21:06 am »

We are huge fans of cold smoking fish....mostly Marlin.  Brining and getting the pellicle to set up is super important.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: