HIBarbeque
August 19, 2019, 11:50:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2013 is going to be an amazing year for HIBBQ.  Stay tuned for details on new smokers coming to Hawaii and Hawaii's first ever KCBS sanctioned event.  Aloha!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming class - #1 team in the U.S.  (Read 3567 times)
Crash
Global Moderator

« on: October 23, 2012, 12:27:07 am »

hibarbeque.com is trying to determine what the response would be to holding a class dedicated to the art of smoking meat.  The #1 team in the US is offering to fly out and teach a class on the basics of smoking meat for the backyard cooks as well as for the competion cooks of Hawaii.

One of the members of the team has local roots, previously living ewa side.  These guys really are that good and are currently ranked #1 in the KCBS standings.  Pretty amazing considering there are over 6000 competitors cooking on the professional BBQ circuit these days.

The date and location have not been set yet.  We are trying to see if there is a solid enough interest in making this happen.  This truly is a golden opportunity for those of us that Live Hawaii.

Please let me know your thoughts.  I'll be happy to reply to any questions.
Chris - Big Ugly's BBQ

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:41:34 am »

Crash, much mahalo for the kind words brah, would really like to pull this off if we can.  

We are very interested in coming out and doing something for the local folks.  We do one day (min 8hrs) and two day (min 14-16hrs) classes.  We have a lesson plan, but also care about what the students are looking for; we spend a while asking students questions before we even start, ensuring that each student gets something.  I know, these classes aren't cheap, and its really important to us that you are satisifed and getting your money's worth.  Here are some stats about 3 Eyz BBQ, so far this year.....

2012 - 11 Grand Championships, 4 Reserve Grand Championships, so far, we still have several comps to go......
2012 - 16 catagory wins, 65 top 5 calls in catagories
Currently #1 in KCBS Team of the Year rankings (6000+ teams)
Currently #4 in KCBS Chicken rankings, #2 in Ribs, #7 in Pork, and #16 in Brisket
Currently #1 in the Mid-Atlantic BBQ Association (MABA) Team rankings (300 teams)
Currently #1 in MABA Chicken Rankings, #1 in Ribs, #3 in Pork, and #1 in Brisket

If someone needs references, by all means email me at chris@3eyzbbq.com and I will get you several of our previous students to talk about their experiences.  Many of them have gone on and competed at a very high level, with one student in the running for the MABA Rookie of the Year....

Thanks for your time , hope to hear from you soon!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:53:49 am by Chris-3EyzBBQ » Logged
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 02:34:00 am »

This class is honestly the best opportunity for us folks here in Hawaii that want to learn more abot how the pros do it.  The 3-Eyz team record really speaks for itself....these guys are legit.

I can honestly say that Chris is one of the nicest folks in BBQ that I have ever had the chance to know.  Please email him with absolutely any questions you have.  You'll definitely get a reply from him...Guarans!!!!

Please sound off and let us know what your hopes, expectations and questions are for this upcoming class.
Chris - Big Ugly's BBQ

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:49:30 am »

Guess I better update the stat sheet, had a pretty good weekend at the Jack!!.....and came home to find Sandy waiting for us!!

2012 - The Jack Daniels World Invitational of BBQ - Rib Catagory Winner - Perfect score!!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:52:05 am by Chris-3EyzBBQ » Logged
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 01:32:22 am »

For those that don't know a perfect score in a sanctioned KCBS contest is a 9 9 9 from five judges.  The first 9 is based on Appearance, the second 9 is based on Taste and the last 9 is based on Tenderness.  The total value equals 180 points and is weighted as:

Appearance - 0.5714
Taste - 2.2858
Tenderness -1.1428

In short, if you nail a perfect 180 in a KCBS competition, you know what the hell you are doing.  To do it at the Jack.....unreal and amazing.

3Eyz has got it going on..... BIG TIME!!!
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:45:37 am »

We are still hammering out details of this class.  We'll likely know more in early 2013 after the 3Eyz guys finish up with their amazing 2012 season.
Chris - Big Ugly's BBQ

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 07:52:11 am »

Also, if anyone is interested, we will be in California, for the King of the Smoker Competition (www.kingofthesmoker.com).  This is an invitational only comp, sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, with a $50K prize purse.  Interesting twist, no electric......meaning no stokers, no gurus, no fan, no pellet cookers.  Traditional style cooking only! 

On the website, there is a link to see a live video feed of the event.  Check it out!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Lisa_DJ
Pit B!t@h
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 09:24:48 pm »

Sweet....dig that live link idea.  Not only is that an impressive lineup of teams, but an impressive discussion/lecture list.  So wish I could go.

Best of luck to you guys.
Chris - Big Ugly's BBQ

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 06:02:22 am »

Aloha all, haven't posted in a while, been busy getting the new year started.  We have two comps under our belts already, and our Q Super School (along with Rub Bagby of Swampboys BBQ) is this weekend in Winter Haven, FL.

Just wanted to check in and see if anyone had some thoughts about the class concept we have been posting about.  I know its a big undertaking, but we would love the priviledge of coming out and showing everyone what we do, as well as help island teams see some of the success we have had. 

On a personal note, I need to go surfing........my board is still in Kapolei, and its got waaaayyyy to much dust on it, hasnt been used in a while........LOL!!!  Take care!
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 09:56:00 pm »

Howzit Chris.

I've already heard amazing things about the 3Eyz class that you guys did with Rub this weekend.  Honestly, I would love to have been there.  That whole HI to FL thing isn't really my cup of sauce travel-wise though. 

We have definitely had some interest in the 3Eyz class.  I know we discussed the off-season as a great time to get you guys out here, especially since the 3 Eyz team is on the road at comps a lot during the season.

Keep your eyes open for an announcement on an upcoming SANCTIONED competition in the near future. The competition might tie in perfectly with a 3 Eyz class.  As a matter of fact, I think it would be extremely beneficial for any teams to take your class prior to the sanctioned contest.

As for the surfboard gathering dust, hop a flight and lets get you surfing.  I'll drive....you give me tips on how to Que.
Chris - Big Ugly's BBQ

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 08:10:32 am »

The class was alot of fun, and something we would like to do out there.  Sent you a PM with some thoughts.

Done deal with the surfing for the que tips, no worries! Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: