HIBarbeque
September 20, 2019, 11:19:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2013 is going to be an amazing year for HIBBQ.  Stay tuned for details on new smokers coming to Hawaii and Hawaii's first ever KCBS sanctioned event.  Aloha!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kalaeloah Raceway Park Rib and Chili Challenge  (Read 5178 times)
Crash
Global Moderator

« on: August 07, 2013, 12:45:27 am »

Looks like there is a rib challenge and chili challenge at KRP on 8/24.  As soon as we know details we will post them up.

We will be there.

http://www.kalaeloaracewaypark.com/
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:13:14 am »

Still waiting on details....  We'll let you know as soon as they become available.
special agent

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:49:12 pm »

The date been change.  Now its october. 26, 2013

I only been doing this for almost 2 years!!
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:48:56 am »

Thanks Tatum.
special agent

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:49:48 pm »

The bbq cook off is set for October. 26, 2013.  Registristion form can be found here.

http://www.kalaeloaracewaypark.com/

Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:33:20 pm »

Just registered, check goes in the mail tomorrow.
Chris - Big Ugly's BBQ

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 08:41:03 am »

Just down the hill from my old place..........oh man..........
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 11:15:24 pm »

Yup, it sure is Chris.  Sounds like a pretty awesome event actually.  Rules are very KCBS ish....totally dig that.  From what I have read so far, scoring is not. 
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 11:24:48 pm »

Looks like this event turned into a Chicken, Ribs and Brisket event.  Oh yeah, forgot baked beans. 

Hawaii is definitely getting closer to true competition BBQ.
Chris - Big Ugly's BBQ

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 04:58:18 am »

I used to ride my dirtbike over in that area......

I couldn't get out there that weekend anyhow, have an obligation in Lynchburg to fulfill.........Pic's will be sent soon as they are available.......
special agent

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 12:21:15 pm »

Here's a link to the rules.

http://www.kalaeloaracewaypark.com/media/wof/2013/2013wofbbqrules.pdf

special agent

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 02:36:25 pm »

Event flyer:

http://www.kalaeloaracewaypark.com/images/stories/2013events/wof2013v8medrez.jpg

special agent

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 02:38:48 pm »

There will be other events going on in the day from live music to keiki land.  Bring the family out and enjoy the day with us.

Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 02:02:31 am »

We are really looking forward to this event, sounds pretty kick ass for Oahu.  It's a s close to a sanctioned event as we have seen so far on Oahu.  Sounds like the KRP staff has this one pretty fine-tuned.

Turn in time info for each category???

Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 01:36:45 am »

First off, this event turned into a chicken, rib, brisket, baked bean contest. So in my KCBS mind, three categories and an ancillary.  For me, totally cool with it.  Sadly, my PB (Lisa) was away attending her grandfather's funeral.  I was on my own with the help of a good friend from college.  

Here is what was awesome:  

1) Shawn, Tatum and Auntie.  Shawn and Tatum ....yup these guys know their sh!t when it comes to comp BBQ.  They also pretty much run KRP, which is where this event was held.  They both did a great job.   Super cool, they got it.   Auntie, was a perfect island auntie, smiles and all......just cant remember her name.

2) The venue had so much opportunity, tons of extra space.  Crowd was solid, BBQ teams were flooded with People's Choice public wanting a sample.

3) A lot of extra stuff...band, belly flop contest, Daisy Duke contest.

Here is what was not awesome:

1) Teams....there were 3.

2) Serious lack of communication.  I asked 3 different people what the prize fund would be, never got a straight answer.  

3) Didn't get turn in boxes until about 25 minutes before turn ins.  

4) Lack of rules being upheld.  Turn in boxes were supposed to have 8 individual pieces in the box (yes...eight).  That's a tight box right there.  Other teams turned in 6, admittedly.  I would definitely agree with the other team....6 in a box is better, easier...and hell, three teams.

5) Cost to enter vs. prize fund.  There was no prize fund for each category.....none! Just trophies.  

6) There was apparently a Peoples Choice (PC) prize of $200, which we found out about at awards. Per the rules, it was supposed to be just brisket.  Our fiercest competitor served all of their meats and additionally added pulled pork (not one of the comp meats) to their PC menu.  This competitor (first comp), and a good friend, probably just didn't understand the rules...so no worries.  We opted to bail out of the PC early.  Saved our BBQ for friends/family.

7) Saw the organizer/promoter once...at the beginning of the event.  

In short, it was a waste of my time.  No disrespect to Shawn, Tatum and Auntie, I know from talking to Shawn that they did their job 100%. The marketing/promoter is where it really failed.  It was fun, we did have a good time..... but a $200 entry fee and three 1st place finishes should at least get you to a break even point financially.  

Do we want to attend next year, hell yes.....let's just get this amazing opportunity stabilized.

And to be honest, yes...we lost $ for the first time cooking well in HI, but each of my three kids got to take a trophy home.  

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:38:50 am by Crash » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: