HIBarbeque
June 23, 2017, 07:01:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2013 is going to be an amazing year for HIBBQ.  Stay tuned for details on new smokers coming to Hawaii and Hawaii's first ever KCBS sanctioned event.  Aloha!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IBCA Hilo Bay Cook- Off, Hilo Hawaii - 7/4/2014  (Read 1488 times)
Crash
Global Moderator

« on: April 15, 2014, 01:05:28 am »

As of right now, this is the only sanctioned BBQ event in HI.....which means an Auto-Jack.  All four categories with ancillaries of Poke and Chili on July 3rd. 

We'll be there with a new approach this year. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

hilobaybbq.com
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 01:48:10 am »

This was, once again, a great event on the bay front of Hilo Bay.  13 teams competed in hopes of garnishing the coveted Jack draw opportunity from the state of Hawaii. 

Much Aloha to Rick and Peggy of http://www.hawaiianarts.com/ for taking the time out of their busy lives to put this amazing event on.  Year after year, they keep doing it and for those of us that know.....if can, can.  They can.  Amazing folks, and an amazing job that they both do. 

Major props should also be tossed to Walker and Judy Keeney, the IBCA http://ibcabbq.org/ representatives from the fine state of Texas.  This couple is the epitome of what BBQ is about, and seeing as how they are from Texas, well....they might know a thing or two.

Congrats to Old Man Joe for GC and to John Penner with 1-2 BBQ for RGC.  John missed the GC by a tie-breaker in brisket, and we were so rooting for him.  John's former teammate Dave managed 3rd overall in a tight contest.  Solid showing by the top three.

Unfortunately, as of 7/5/14, there was still no confirmation that this would be an Auto-Jack for this event...and it damn well should be as it is our state's only sanctioned BBQ event.  Time will tell and I guess it really is up to the Jack and Ms. Christiansen.

Great event, great people and we look forward to doing it again in 2015.

Chris - Big Ugly's BBQ

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 05:28:35 am »

Congrats to all that heard their names!  Sounds like a great event, wish I could get out there......maybe later this year, who knows.....

Completely understand about the Jack BS.......it hit us this year also, I lost a bung because they changed the rules mid year.......
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 01:57:50 am »

As an update to this event as it pertains to the Jack Daniel's Invitational.......this was not deemed a qualifying event.  Therefore, there will be no Hawaii team represented in Lynchburg this October. 

I 100% believe that it was the right call by the Jack folks.  Kind of sucks for the GC, but I respect the decision to keep the uniformity of Jack qualifications in check.

Sure hope this event gets over 15 teams next year.  If it doesn't, sadly, we will not attend.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: