HIBarbeque
January 26, 2020, 10:48:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2013 is going to be an amazing year for HIBBQ.  Stay tuned for details on new smokers coming to Hawaii and Hawaii's first ever KCBS sanctioned event.  Aloha!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoked Nairagi  (Read 4481 times)
Crash
Global Moderator

« on: February 06, 2011, 03:30:20 am »

Tamashiro Market in Kalihi had some nice looking fish this week, so I went and picked up 4lbs of Nairagi (Striped Marlin) to cook.  I was hoping to grill it, but decided to slow smoke it instead.

Here's how it went down.

I got one nice filet (skin on) for about 15 bucks. Smoking deal and super, nice quality.  

Sliced it horizontally into thirds.

Then into strips about 3/4" to 1" wide and about 3-6 inches long.

I then dumped the fish strips into the brine. The brine was simple, 1Qt of H2O, 1/2 C brown sugar, 1/2 C Kosher Salt, 2 TBSP of whole peppercorns and 4 bay leaves.  

I'll brine it for about 6-8 hours and then smoke it at about 200 degrees for 2 hours using 1 fist sized chunk of cherry.

It might suck, but I bet it wont. Wink Smiley

More pictures tomorrow when we get to smoking.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:35:58 am by Crash » Logged
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:37:24 pm »

This came out well, but I forgot to take pictures.  I meant to brine for 6 hours but over-brined it by an additional 6 hours.  Slightly salty, but very good.  Kids loved it and had it for breakfast today with eggs.
Lisa_DJ
Pit B!t@h
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 01:35:50 am »

I like it!!  Great for afternoon snack..... hmm what else can I get him to make me?Huh LOL Cheesy
brandon

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:50:32 am »

Striped Marlin or Nariagi is a really good fish which can be served with an overnight brine in olive oil and a light sear. Never had it cut in strips and highly cooked but if it was good I might have to try it. 
Crash
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 11:07:58 pm »

We're making this again tonight, but this time we're tweaking it a bit.  We added onions to the brine and only brined for 6 hours this time.  The pellicle set up perfectly on this batch and I think the key was towel drying each pice of fish before resting it in the fridge for 15 hours.

Also added some Pappy's Seafood Rub to about a third of the marlin to see what we can get out of it. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: